Forum 2024: Call for Participation

I-GUIDE Forum 2024

Convergence Science and Geospatial AI for Environmental Sustainability

October 14-16, 2024

Jackson, Wyoming, USA

Call for Participation

As part of its data-driven mission, I-GUIDE (the Institute for Geospatial Understanding through an Integrative Discovery Environment, https://i-guide.io) supported by the U.S. National Science Foundation tackles fundamental scientific and societal challenges focused on sustainability, from climate change and biodiversity loss to food and water insecurity.

I-GUIDE Forum is designed as a conference series to bring together domain science researchers, artificial intelligence (AI) and data scientists, cyberinfrastructure experts, and educators from across academia, government, and industry. The Forum provides a cross-disciplinary venue for sharing AI, cyberinfrastructure, and geospatial approaches to a variety of pressing sustainability and resilience challenges the world is facing.

The I-GUIDE Forum 2024 will feature presentations and discussions about cutting-edge geospatial AI and data science advances for enabling environmental sustainability solutions through pushing frontiers in convergence and geospatial sciences. The themes for I-GUIDE Forum 2024 focus on (1) Frontiers in Data-intensive Convergence and Geospatial Sciences; (2) Geospatial AI and Data Science for Environmental Sustainability; (3) Innovation of CyberGIS and Cyberinfrastructure; and (4) Inclusive Education, Training, and Workforce Development.

1. Frontiers in  Data-intensive Convergence and Geospatial Sciences: Papers in this track focus on advances in data-intensive convergence and geospatial sciences that address complex environmental sustainability challenges across various spatial and temporal scales. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

• Aging infrastructure
    • Climate risk
    • Food, energy, and water nexus
    • Global to local analysis of sustainability
    • Hydroclimate extremes
    • Telecoupling

2. Geospatial AI and Data Science for Environmental Sustainability: Papers in this track focus on new algorithms, methods, models, and theories for harnessing heterogeneous geospatial data to solve environmental sustainability problems. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

• Data-intensive geospatial analytics
    • Explainable AI for sustainability sciences
    • Geospatial data ethics
    • Geospatial data fusion
    • Geospatial foundation models for generative AI
    • Intelligent geospatial decision support
    • Uncertainty quantification in geospatial AI

3. Innovation of CyberGIS and Cyberinfrastructure: Papers in this track focus on innovative cyberGIS and cyberinfrastructure software, systems, and tools developed to enable scalable solutions to environmental sustainability problems. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

• Geospatial cloud and edge computing
    • Geospatial decision support systems
    • Geospatial middleware
    • Geospatial problem solving environments
    • High-performance geospatial computing
    • New frontiers in cyberGIS
    • Reproducibility and replicability of data-intensive geospatial analytics

4. Inclusive Education, Training, and Workforce Development: Papers in this track explore how to incorporate the recent advances in convergence science, cyberinfrastructure, geospatial AI and data science into new learning modalities and resources. Innovative ideas for supporting the development of a proficient workforce to help realize the potential of people across the diverse demographic groups are especially sought. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

• Approaches to engaging underrepresented groups in data-intensive fields
    • Convergence science curriculum focused on AI for environmental sustainability
    • Education advances in geospatial data-intensive sciences
    • Challenges and opportunities in developing countries and underserved communities for data-intensive learning
    • Geospatial AI and data science curriculum
    • Open educational resources

Submission Requirements for I-GUIDE Forum 2024

I-GUIDE Forum 2024 invites papers addressing one or more of the aforementioned themes. Each paper should not exceed eight pages in the single-column publication format, including references. Accepted papers will be published in the proceedings of the Forum. Additionally, a set of papers will be invited for submission to special issues of multiple journals such as the Environmental Research Letters (ERL), International Journal of Geographical Information Science (IJGIS), and Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). Papers must be submitted through the following link: https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=iguideforum2024 by July 15th, 2024. Authors of accepted papers will be notified by August 15th, 2024.

Share this: